- This event has passed.
Ice Skating at Caerphilly Castle -December 2019
6 December, 2019 @ 5:00 pm - 6 January, 2020 @ 8:00 pm£6.50 – £9.00
After the tremendous success of last year’s event, a fantastic Ice Skating Rink will return to Caerphilly Castle this Christmas!
The wonderful experience of ice skating within the grounds of Wales’ largest castle will be even more magical this year with the opportunity to go ice skating on Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve too!
Skate sessions for last year’s event were a sell out for all weekend bookings, so book your tickets soon if you would like to go ice skating within the grounds of this magnificent 750 year old castle.
The ice rink will be open from Friday 6th December (in time for the Caerphilly Christmas Market) and will continue for a WHOLE month until Monday 6th January 2020. During this time, Caerphilly Castle will be transformed into a Christmas wonderland, where guests can enjoy outdoor skating on a real ice rink, indulge in treats from a pop-up cafe and visits from Father Christmas are also planned.
The ice rink will be open from 12pm to 9pm on Wednesdays and Thursdays and from 10am to 9pm on Friday, Saturday and Sundays – last skate at 8pm – with each slot lasting 45 minutes. The rink will be closed on Mondays and Tuesdays.
Skate sessions, within the walls of Wales’s largest castle, should be pre-booked online at ticketsource.co.uk/caerphilly-castle-ice-rink, with tickets priced at £6.50 for children under 14, £9.00 for adults and £27.00 for families (two adults and two children) with standard skate hire included in the skate price.
This event has been organised by Cadw in partnership with Castle Court Shopping Centre, Caerphilly County Council, Caerphilly Town Council, Transport for Wales and 11th Hour.
1. Ten penguin-shaped ‘ice walkers’ per session will be available at an extra cost for younger guests, (first come first served) with children aged 3-7 years only permitted to skate when accompanied by an adult.
2. Discounted school bookings are available from 12pm to 5pm on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday by calling 02920 099087.
3. Special concessions are also available on weekday group bookings for clubs, choirs, local sports teams and office parties from 12pm-5pm.
4. Visitors in wheelchairs are welcome to enter the ice rink, but must be joined by a companion. Meanwhile, Autism friendly sessions will take place on Sunday, 15 December at 10am and Wednesday 18 December at 12pm.
5. The event ties into Cadw’s three year £5.3m investment plan which aims to transform the Castle into a world class heritage attraction, increasing visitor numbers and making the monument more sustainable. Based on a recently completed masterplan, this new ambitious programme will truly enhance visitors’ experience through improved welcome, floodlighting, catering offer and innovative interpretation. Critical conservation work will also help improve their understanding and enjoyment of one Wales’s most important historic sites.
Minister for Culture, Tourism and Sport, Lord Elis-Thomas, said: “Following the success of last year, we are delighted to announce that the ice-skating experience will be returning to Caerphilly Castle this December. We look forward to seeing people of all ages enjoying the surrounding of this magnificent castle in the lead up to Christmas.“
Cllr Sean Morgan, Deputy Leader and Cabinet member with responsibility for tourism at Caerphilly County Borough Council, said:“The return of the ice rink to Caerphilly Castle is welcome news, not only for our residents but also for visitors to the area. We work closely with Cadw to promote Caerphilly as a tourist destination of choice and are pleased to support them in launching this year’s ice rink and festive events.’
For other events this Christmas, please go here:
TERMS & CONDITIONS FOR ALL TICKET SALES (TAKEN EXACTLY FROM THE TICKET SOURCE WEBSITE):
1. REFUNDS – ALL TICKET SALES ARE FINAL. No refunds, for whatever reason, shall be given on any booking, in full or in part.
2. EXCHANGES – Customers may exchange bookings, subject to availability, to different skate session date / time, of the same value. If an off-peak ticket was bought, the difference must be paid by the customer to exchange to a peak session. Exchanges should be made at least 12 hours before the skating session you are booked onto. Any Exchanges requested within 12 hours will not be permitted. All exchanges will incur a £1.00 processing fee, per booking. All exchange requests should be made by calling 0333 666 3366.
3. By purchasing this ticket, it is your responsibility as the skater / participant / ticket holder to understand and assume liability for the risks and dangers inherent to ice-related sports and recreational ice skating.
These risks and dangers include, but are not limited to:
Minor injuries such as scratches, bruises, blisters and sprains
Major injuries such as eye injury, loss of sight, joint or back sprains, strains, breaks, concussions, sever cuts, head trauma, dismemberment, cardiac arrest, partial or total paralysis and death.
We recommend you consulting a doctor before you participate in any sporting activity.
4. WARNING – ICE IS A SLIPPERY SURFACE, this presents skaters with many hazards, which all skaters should fully understand before entering the ice pad, point 3 above refers.
5. CODE OF CONDUCT FOR SKATING –All skaters (ticket holders) agree to all the terms and conditions of skating, and agree to obey all posted signage, and instructions given to them by rink staff and management. Skaters found disobeying rules shall be ejected from the site. Skaters code of conduct rules, and terms and conditions can be found at cardiffswinterwonderland.com/t-and-cs. You are advised to read and understand fully these terms and conditions for skating, before confirming your booking.
By confirming your booking, you are agree to the terms and conditions for skating, and the skaters’ code of conduct.
6. Customers not complying to the rules for skating, appear drunk and disorderly, or under, or suspected to be under the influence of drugs, management have the rights to refuse admission to the ticket holder, and also reserve the right to remove members of the public from the site.
7. 24H CCTV CAMERAS IN OPERATION – CCTV Cameras are in use across the event site including the ice rink and ice surface for safety, insurance and fraudulent claim purposes. All video images and audio, from all cameras are recorded, and kept for a minimum of 6 years.
8. Children between the ages of 3 and 7 years of age inclusive, must be accompanied by a responsible adult when ice skating at this rink. Children under 3 are not permitted on the ice.